So… you’re done. It is the end of the day and you are ready to call it quits. Let’s take just a little time to make sure you are ready for the next day of work. It takes less than 60 seconds and just a little effort. This procedure will:
- Protect your data
- Ensure your computer is performing at its best
- Ensure your computer is up to date and secure
- Allow for fewer interruptions to your work day
Here is all you need to do:
- Close all programs and save your work.
- Reboot your computer (follow the proper reboot procedures for your version of Windows or MacOS).
- Turn off your monitor (leaving the computer on and running).
Those three simple steps are all you need to do. The next time you come to work you computer will be at the login screen ready for you to do your magic. This simple procedure will allow for your computer to update, scan, reboot and process all the activities it is scheduled to do during the evening and morning hours. Failure to follow this procedure will:
- Lead to more update interruptions during the day
- Impose less security due to missed scans, updates, and patches
- Lead to poor system performance
- Cause possible data loss
- Cause higher service and maintenance cost
- Create headaches for you and for me
** Road Warriors (Mobile/Laptop Computer users). I know that you cannot possibly leave your computer on every night based on your schedule. Just make sure you make it a point to leave your computer on at the office or at home periodically when you have a good Internet connection. By doing this, your computer will perform the maintenance and updates needed to keep you infection free and running at the best performance.
There are often exceptions to these rules on specific computers and all servers. If you have questions or concerns regarding this policy let me know.